Back around the turn of the millennium, I had the great fortune of watching the Windows XP, aka Whistler, development cycle unfold. I had so much fun tracking the procession of development releases topped by the shiny gold master copy of Windows XP, that I sought after, and found, an operating system to track that was in perpetual development: Linux!
Over at eWEEK’s main site, I’ve compiled a short gallery of Linux distribution releases set for the first half of 2011 that have caught my eye. Check out the gallery for a peek at the releases and for what it is in each that’s gotten my attention, or simply consult the list below, and let me know which ones I’m missing.
- Ubuntu 11.04: Natty Narwhal :: Expected release date: 2011-04-28.
- Fedora 15 :: Expected release date: 2011-05-10.
- OpenSUSE 11.4 :: Expected release date: 2011-05-10.
- CentOS 6 :: Expected release: imminent.
- Debian Squeeze :: Expected release date: 2011-02-06.
- ChromeOS :: Expected release date: mid-2011.
- Android 3.0 :: Expected release date: February or March, 2011.
- MeeGo 1.2 :: Expected release date: April 2011.